Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Tope ander-a? (How are you?)

This morning three doctors and a nurse did our medical rounds on all the patients from outside the fence as almost all of them were able to sit outside.  The advantages are the patients could relate to us without our PPE and the 4-year-old Fatmata K is less afraid of us; our time spent in PPE in the ETC is curtailed.  The nurse and the doctors are all from Sierra Leone and they all speak Temne except for one who speaks Krio.  In the Suspected Ward, we have the youngster Abubakar who looks well overnight as his fever is gone but he still has muscle pain and occasional hiccoughs.  I could hear words in Temne that sounded like “hiccups and weak”.  Adamssay, the older woman continues to have pain and begins to have some diarrhea but otherwise quite well.

Over to the Confirmed Ward, the sickest person is Fatmata K, still refusing to eat but could be coaxed to drinking some water.  She refuses to drink the ORS so we continue her IV fluids.  Her cousin, Doris, has started to be febrile and now has muscle pain.  Sullieu and Gabriel are being tested for Ebola to see if they have cleared the virus, they are getting better every day.  Slowly they are regaining their strength and there is the beginning of a sparkle in their eyes.  Gabriel ate his raw cassava root yesterday but evidently did not get poisoned by it; he seems to be immune to the cyanide.

After our outside the fence rounds, the nurse and I donned to see the little girl.  We paid Adamssay a brief visit in the Suspected Ward, she looked well.  Fatmata K was lying on a mattress outside the Confirmed Ward.  She has been receiving IV fluid as she is still not drinking enough.

While I was rounding, the ambulance brought in Marhta, Doris and Fatmata K’s grandmother and Kadiatu, Fatmata K’s mother and Doris’s aunt to the ETC.  They are both from the quarantined area and live in the same household where Doris’s mother contracted Ebola and died.  Martha is 64, tremulous but she does not have a fever while Kadiatu has a high fever and reportedly has diarrhea.  She has a long dress that hides her legs.  Getting up from a sitting position posed an enormous problem for her.  She first had to lean her body weight onto a table and pushed herself up and even then her legs seemed to give way from under her.  The aides handed her cane and she almost fell taking a few steps on her own.  In the end she was transferred to the Probable Ward on a stretcher.  We could not clarify what kind of disability she has.

Transmission continues in the quarantined area, perhaps symptomatic persons should be pulled out to the ETC early for Ebola testing, minimizing further exposure to the rest of the quarantined villagers.

Drying Aprons and Scrubs in the Hot Sun

2 comments:

  1. I'd just like to say how much I admire you for your efforts at helping others. I really enjoy reading your blog (it's becoming a daily habit now) and contrasting the problems you encounter in your days with problems in mine. It helps put into perspective how the "other half lives".
    I'm curious though, how do you know their language? Is it just because they repeat it often, so that it becomes ingrained into your memory?
    Also, what made you choose to post your "journal entries" on a blog? Did you start writing these blogs to raise awareness of the suffering experienced by people on multiple continents? Or did you simply want to document your days?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am learning as I go along asking the Temne-speaking persons to repeat some of their questions. The driver also tries to teach me on my way home if I am traveling alone. I am a visual learner so it is hard for me even if it is repeated to me a few times.
      I started keeping a journal a few years ago but decided that it would be far more efficient if I could share my journal entries in a blog with my family and friends especially for my family so their anxiety would be allayed somewhat when I am gone to do medical relief work. Over time I found that if I did not jot down my experiences and thoughts, my memories of the events would fade so this is also a good way to document my days.
      I don't receive many comments on my blog but when I do, they are usually from readers who are very thankful that I keep and share the blog with them, mostly they are touched by happenings that are foreign to them. Since NPR aired the interview Ms. Aizenman did with me, the blog has done its share of raising awareness of the suffering and hardship of our neighbours and touching the hearts of many; perhaps the blog makes some people resolve to be a better person, kinder, gentler, and more compassionate, slower to judge, willing to forgive and sprinkle the world with unconditional love.

      Delete