Sunday, March 29, 2015

Homecoming

When I left for Sierra Leone in February, I did not tell my neighbors about it but did inform some friends.  The airing of the NPR interview might have reached some more of my friends.  I later learned that the news of an American being flown in for treatment for Ebola stirred up questions whether I was the one.  My family was able to quickly eliminate me by checking on my blog.  Similarly many of the American healthcare workers in Lunsar ETC had the same reactions from concerned family and friends.  Our presence in West Africa did cause continued anxiety which sometimes while we were there in the midst of the outbreak, we easily forgot.  

Upon my return, I took a long walk in Belmont and my first encounter with a neighbor was “a keep-a-distance hello” but his dog came charging to greet me as most dogs do here. On my morning run several Belmontians were carrying placards campaigning for issues to be voted on in the local elections at the busy intersection in the center of town.  One of them who was all bundled up greeted me enthusiastically, “Welcome back!”  I did not recognize her at first but soon realized she lived right across the street from me. 

Many e-mail exchanges occurred between the people at the State Department of Public Health and the Beth Israel Employee Health as to how the responsibility of monitoring of my 21-day quarantine should be divided.  In the end the state will take the lead to be followed by the local Belmont Health Department; skyping daily for a face-to-face encounter and twice daily reporting of temperatures and symptoms. It only takes a few minutes but I still feel a little bit of an intrusion and harbor a feeling of defiance.

Grisela and Me
Grisela returned home from Burlington, Vermont, the day after my homecoming; my daughter cat-sat for us.  She is a year old now and no longer a kitten.

Gri, Me and Cara, my Cat-Sitter

The British military nurse recovers in London Royal Free Hospital having received an experimental drug MIL 77 and was discharged two days ago.  The American is still in NIH listed in serious condition. 

Last night I learned the greatest news yet; the infected national healthcare worker was discharged from Kerry Town Ebola Treatment Center for healthcare workers.  He is an Ebola survivor!  (thanda kuru) He never received any special experimental drug.  I rejoice in his recovery.  The center initially had no room for him despite him being confirmed with Ebola as a healthcare worker but had rooms for other American healthcare workers with potential Ebola exposure to the infected American but with no confirmed infection.  This happened in his own country!

No comments:

Post a Comment